The decision to cut Child Benefit for high earners has clearly upset the Yummy Mummies and Ladies What Lunch at my gym. The changing room this morning was full of high pitched bemoaning. One member, as she put her Radley bag into a locker, said "if I'd known the Tories would take away my Child Benefit, I'd never have voted them in".
I overheard another angry mother telling her friend that her husband and her "were thinking of trying for a boy this time, but it doesn't seem worth it, not now they're taking Child Benefit off of us". I didn't think it was the right time to express my relief that the changing room would be missing out on another perving little boy.
One of her companions said that "it seemed wrong that the Government [the previous administration, I hasten to add] wanted to increase birth rates, but were doing everything possible to put people off having children". I really wanted to point out the irony in this statement; I lost the feeling in the end of my tongue stopping myself. I wanted to ask what she thought about young, single mothers using the system, but I knew she wouldn't spot the hypocrisy in her own attitude. She then went on to say that her husband's pension would suffer because of this. Apparently, it's one of those stakeholder ones, and the credit crunch has depleted it enough without this on top of everything. I couldn't make it up.
Another friend joined in the tirade against this treachery committed by her beloved Tory party. "It's like we're being penalised because my ***** earns over £60,000 a year". I was surprised I got out of there alive, my heart was bleeding so much.
Child Benefit isn't great. It's £20.30 a week. For each extra child you have, you get £13.40. Considering the take home pay of someone earning £45k a year is around £631 a week, are these women really going to be missing out? They don't realise just how lucky they are that they have the choice not to work. Many families don't have that option, earning too much to claim any other benefit, but not enough to keep them in Per Una.
Also, this argument that the cuts are penalising mothers who choose to stay at home just doesn't stack up. Some of the knee jerk reactions in the media are pointing towards young mums and single parents. I hate to be the one to point it out, but these aren't the people who are going to be affected. Someone earning over £45 a year is likely to be over 30. Their partner, most likely, will be working until she decides to have kids. Then there's that important factor; it's a decision to have kids. They've made that choice.
As stated above, this cut will affect people taking home over £630ish a week. If that isn't enough to live on, even with 2 or 3 kids, then I'm sorry, what is? If someone is really struggling, then what are they spending their money on? Most of the Moaning Minnies at the gym drive new MPVs, usually Range Rovers, Mercedes, or BMW. Everything they wear is a label. If you can't afford to feed your kids, or keep a roof over their heads (surely number one priority as a parent) AND maintain a particular lifestyle TOUGH. Downsize to a smaller car, buy a semi-detached house, or serve own brand instant at your little coffee mornings. Grow your own nails. Just don't moan when you lose out on £20-£30 a week you clearly aren't going to miss.
No comments:
Post a Comment