Thursday, November 18, 2010

When the going gets tough....

I haven't blogged for a while; I haven't really been in the mood. I've seen things and thought "that would make a good blog post", but when push came to shove, I just haven't been motivated.


The decision not to apply jobs until after our holiday looks to have backfired big time. On top of this, my failure (in my words) to secure pupillage compounds my own self-inflicted depression. I may be down, but I'm not giving up yet.


At this moment in time, my voluntary work is a shining light in these dark, bleak times. I am so close to completing my training, and have to complete assessed interviews with real people before I can be let loose. It's something that I'm looking forward to. Feeling like I'm doing something has lifted my spirits; it's a pity I have to wait two weeks, with it being unlikely that I'll be advising before the New Year.


One thing that has emerged today is the news that Sergeant Mark Andrews has successfully appealed against his conviction for assaulting Pamela Somerville. With the officers who were involved in the death of Ian Tomlinson not  facing criminal charges, these are worrying times. How can the police expect to gain respect from the public when they are permitted to use disproportionate means to deal with us? When a male officer can throw a woman half his size into a cell, causing her injury, and have it justified on the grounds that "she was drunk", then what other excuses could be used to defend similar actions? Mr Justice Bean did say that Sgt Andrews "could have done things better"; yes, by keeping within legal limits, for a start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment