Compared with the BVC, the training has been a breeze. For me though, I have got more out of the observation sessions. This involves shadowing an experienced volunteer and seeing the practical side of things. I've seen almost every type of situation. What I haven't seen is the client who kicks off when they don't get the answer that they want - I am certain that one is waiting for me!
Today though, I have almost reached the point where I can be let loose among the general public, without supervision. To think that this time next week I could have someone's life literally in my hands is daunting, but somewhat humbling. Some of the clients that I have seen really do need a good kick up the arse, but there are those out there who really would be in the messy stuff if it wasn't for the volunteers and organisations out there who aim to help them.
I have completed two interviews, under supervision. All of my coursemates have been dreading this part of the training, but the BVC has prepared me well for this. The scrutiny of not just a tutor, but my peers too, whilst being recorded onto DVD has taken away any inhibitions or self-consciousness. I've learned that all I need to do is take a deep breath and dive straight in there. Once it's over and done with, that's it.
I now have one more to go, then hopefully I will be allowed to get stuck into the nitty-gritty. This is the part that I have been looking forward to. Even though it's not strictly proper legal experience, the fact that I will be doing something constructive and potentially beneficial will certainly stop me feeling as worthless as I have during the past few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment