Tuesday, April 03, 2012

An open letter to Jermaine Beckford

Dear Jermaine,

I heard a snippet of radio commentary from Saturday's game at Peterborough this morning, as I travelled to work. It was the first time that I had heard it, but I had read all about it within minutes of the game ending, through the various social network sites.

I have to say that I was shocked, and somewhat disappointed, with what I was hearing, as it didn't reflect what I had seen on the pitch, with my very own eyes. Apparently, having sprinted the length of the pitch in the dying minutes of the game, to cover for your team mates, you were then expected to sprint all the way down to the other end for a free kick that would, and did, end up being blasted over the bar.

You might want to correct me, if I'm wrong, but I thought you had done a great job getting back, and were conserving energy. I also thought you were hanging back just in case the ball came out of the crowded penalty area (crowded because it looked like you and Kasper were the only players not in there), and be in a position to get it back into the mixer. As they say.

The radio commentary suggested otherwise. Apparently, you were throwing a strop. If you were "throwing a strop", you'd hidden it well from me.

Now I don't listen to the radio commentary as I am at the games. I can see for myself what has or has not happened. Yet those who don't go, and rely on the radio, claim that you are "lazy", "selfish", and other words and phrases that I am too polite to put into this letter.

The radio commentary team appear to have missed the clever runs that you make. The intelligent flick ons and passes that were producing a decent partnership with David Nugent. Obviously the goals that you have scored for us don't mean a thing, because you refuse to chase down lost causes that your colleagues also don't chase when in similar positions. The piece that I heard this morning does nothing to dispel theories bandied around the online LCFC community that some have an agenda.

When you arrived at Leicester City, expectations were high; not just for yourself, but for the club's own performances. You must have been excited for what looked like a promising season.

Sadly, things haven't gone to plan. With a few games remaining, we are relying on other teams to get us into the play-offs. It's been disappointing for you, as well as us fans.

Not everybody blames you, Jermaine. We are where we are because we have changed manager too many times, and we've changed personnel and systems too many times. Our failure to reach the play-offs, which looks ever the more likely, isn't down to one player or person. If anything, it's due to failings throughout the club. To blame one player is unfair, especially when some of us think that player has actually done a lot more for us this season than other fans. Some of us appreciate the work that you've put in this season. I don't want to apologise for those who are blaming you for where we are, as I don't want to be associated with them.

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what will happen once this season ends. If you are still a Leicester City player at the start of next season, then you have at least one fan supporting you. If you choose to leave, and I'll be disappointed if you do, then I would like to thank you for your goals and efforts; your hat-trick against Forest has to be one of the high points of the season. I would like to wish you all the best, and if you do hear your name being chanted, then I'll be one the few joining in. 

All the best,
Leesoh x

No comments:

Post a Comment