People, on the whole, are like sheep. Where one person goes, someone else is bound to follow. I choose a parking spot at the supermarket that is the furthest away from the main entrance on purpose. I go to the emptiest area so that nobody has to park next to my car, and dent or scratch it. I don't want to come back to my car and find some lazy so and so has left a trolley in my way. But despite the plethora of empty spaces, it's a nailed on certainty I will return to find that not only has someone parked next to my car, they've parked it far too close. On one occasion, I had to climb over the passenger seat to get in, even though there were plenty of empty spaces elsewhere.
What goes through the minds of these people? What is it about the spot that I choose that makes it so attractive to another shopper? Is my car really that cool? Seriously, why do they do it?
Those who don't know me very well (actually those who do too...) might think I am a misanthrope. Believe it or not, I do like to socialise with people, it's just I like to think I am more discerning as to whose company I keep....
It's just that I like to do my own thing. I have a great deal of admiration for those who also like to do their own thing. I have come to a theory that intrepid explorers don't go off for the thrill of things, or for the satisfaction of discovering something new. I honestly believe that they are looking for somewhere no other bugger will come along and disturb them.
There are times I would love to go off and find somewhere vast, and I could be left alone to wander by myself. I could take in the stunning scenery, and enjoy the peace and quiet, taking time to think about life, the universe and all that jive. I could pitch a tent, knowing I could get a decent night's rest without someone disturbing it. But deep down, I know if I did that, I would wake in the morning to find someone had decided to put their tent up right next to mine. I bet they would also be frying mushrooms for breakfast. Grr.
No comments:
Post a Comment