Prices will be going up by over 10%; well over the rate of inflation, however this has not deterred the transport group from stinging the general public even more than it does now. Arriva blame the increase on "running costs", and that the company has "reached the point where it is inevitable that we must pass on some of the additional costs to customers in order that the services remain sustainable". It's hard to reconcile this statement when Arriva:
- cannot ensure that buses run on time
- cannot run enough buses at times when demand is high
- cannot run a frequent service after 6.30pm, and in some areas, no service at all after this time on a Sunday
- cannot run a night service, something other cities of a similar size can sustain
- employs some of the rudest and most ignorant drivers known to mankind (okay, this doesn't affect the cost as such, but it's one more nail in Arriva's coffin as far as I am concerned)
In short, Arriva is one of the worst public transport providers I have ever had to endure. Only Cross Country Trains challenges for the top, or bottom, spot. Oh, wait a minute .... Cross Country is owned by Arriva, isn't it.
The company is still making profits; rather than using them to slap shareholders on the back, these should be ploughed back into the communities that Arriva is supposed to serve, otherwise how on earth are more people going to be persuaded to ditch the car? As it stands, it is now cheaper for me to drive into the city centre and pay for a car park. I have always supported public transport, but this price increase now means I will be reconsidering my stance. I am lucky to be in a position to do this. It's those who aren't, and the ones who are the most reliant on buses, but who will eventually priced out that I feel sorry for. Not Arriva's profit margin.
No comments:
Post a Comment