Friday, August 20, 2010

Paying for your weight loss; Fat chance

I am going to come across as a harsh cow, but I don't care. Obesity is not a disease, but a way of life. It's very simple. To lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than you need. If you consume more, you put on weight, and if you get the balance right, your weight stays the same. 


Hopefully, that's cleared things up. Unfortunately, some people don't like the sound of that. It's far easier to blame their genes, fast food restaurants, food pricing, anyone but themselves, that would of course be wrong. 


The thought of eating healthy food, and taking a little bit of exercise is apparently more daunting than major surgery. That's surgery that you might not wake up from. I don't know if it's just me, but I find that kind of attitude frightening. Obesity surgery is on the rise, and this isn't breaking news. It seems that more and more people see it as a panacea or maybe even the easy option. There is no easy option. The operation reduces the size of the stomach; why not reduce the amount of food that you eat? Gastric bypass also reduces the length of the digestive tract, to stop food from being absorbed into the system. Again, there is a more logical option; eat food that doesn't break down as quickly. Instead of gorging on fatty foods, eat whole-wheat varieties and veggies. This isn't a recent discovery either, despite the way that eating greens is really, really good for you is being reported. And contrary to popular myth, it can be cheaper and easier to cook healthy food from scratch instead of subsisting on take-aways and junk food.


As for exercise, doctors aren't telling us to train like Olympic athletes. Thirty minutes, 5 times a week is all you need to do. It sounds a lot, but break it down. Just go out for a walk. Whatever. As for excuses, I have exercise induced asthma. I also have a condition that means I'm susceptible to injury. I could easily shy away from exercise, wrap myself in cotton wool for the benefit of my fragile constitution. The truth of the matter is exercise helps with both conditions. Okay, I might sprain my ankle every so often, but the number of times that this happens has decreased as the reality is exercise has strengthened my body. Revelation of the decade? I don't think so....


So to read that one woman has gone to court to get a decision to refuse her obesity surgery overturned. I could have ignored this story, had she been challenging the decision of a private health care clinic. But no, she wants the operation carried out on the NHS. This woman has already had complications from the procedure, but hey ho, she's more willing to put up with that than she is to cut down the food she eats, which is what she'll have to do once she's had the surgery, if she has it. So why the hell should the taxpayer pay for this? If she's successful, she sees it as a victory for those poor unfortunate people 'suffering' from obesity. I see it as another excuse for fatties to use, rather than getting off their lazy arses and doing something for themselves.


So yes, I'm harsh. But as an ex-fatty who lost weight 'the hard way', I think I'm justified in that opinion. Which leads me onto my latest bug bear; the latest Slim Fast ad. "I bet she's never been on a diet"; no, that's right, love. No woman who's a size 10 or smaller has ever been a size 14 or bigger. Oh no.


Arsewipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment